Why would a network administrator want to filter certain ports when capturing data such as FTP traffic? How can capturing network traffic help a security analyst?
You have been asked back for a final interview with the Cyber Crime lab (CCL). The hiring decision is between you and one other candidate. You are required to answer the following questions prior to the interview as a test of your knowledge so CCL can determine the most qualified applicant. Each member of the CCL hiring team has created a short question. Answer each of these questions specifically, knowing that your answers may determine who will be hired.
Write a 5-page paper in which you answer the following:
1. As a field representative for your company, you are accustomed to traveling and working from hotels on the road. You always stay in a hotel with free WiFi so that you can work and check your email, as well as Skype with your family. What are the risks of using a public WiFi network? Short of finding a more secure network, what could you do to use this wireless network in a more secure fashion?
2. Why would a network administrator want to filter certain ports when capturing data such as FTP traffic? How can capturing network traffic help a security analyst?
3. A project team for your company has been working in the field at the client’s gas refinery for the past 2 years. They are finishing the client’s project and will be returning to the corporate office next week. After reviewing your incident tickets, you find that several people at the corporate office have reported receiving infected files from the field team. You are responsible for creating a plan for receiving and re-introducing the field team’s computer back into the company computer network. Briefly describe your plan for ensuring that any infected machines do not impact the corporate network. What should you consider when creating your plan? What lessons learned could be incorporated in the future?
4. Research Sam Spade to discover more information about the tools it includes. Briefly describe the purpose and expected result for each tool found on the Basic and Tools menu of Sam Spade.
5. Explain the specific knowledge you gained from the labs in this class, and how it could benefit CCL.