When should families be responsible for related older adults? When should they not? Does this only pertain to immediate family members?
In your local newspaper, an article was written about the crimes and harms perpetrated against the older population and the lack of protection for many of them. The article ends with the question, “Who is responsible for protecting these individuals?”
Write a properly formatted 1,050- to 1,400-word letter to the Editor answering that question from the perspective of an aging professional or employee working in the long-term care field. Limit citations as this is a Letter to your local Editor, not a research paper. Write a real letter to your Editor with relative information to your locale.
In your letter, address the following:
- Analyze the responsibilities of individuals for protecting the rights of older adults. Consider the following:
- When should families be responsible for related older adults? When should they not? Does this only pertain to immediate family members?
- When should friends or acquaintances be responsible? What if their choices go against the family’s wishes?
- When should hospitals, community service organizations, or other long-term care facilities be allowed to make major decisions for older adults?
- When should the government be responsible for making important decisions? How involved should the government be in protecting the individual?
- Is there ever a circumstance when an older adult does not need outside protection? When would that be? Explain your answer. Be specific.
*Clarify basic differences between a public, non-profit, and for profit LTC facility and include how and why Administrators are responsible for protecting the elderly residents in their facilities. Be clear and use information we have discussed along the way regarding NHAs.
- Analyze the prevalence of abuses against the aging population. Include:
- A description of 3 specific types of elder abuse.
- Statistics to support your claims of the prevalence (this can be from your city, state, or nation-wide statistical data). Cite the source used for your statistical data.
- Evaluate the effects of fraud on the aging population and the long-term care system.
- Consider the financial implications on individuals, organizations, and the health care system.
- Analyze Elder Law Services.
- How can these services help protect the rights of older adults?
- Determine the role of advocacy in protecting the rights of older adults. Consider the following:
- What advocacy services are available for older adults? Does everyone have the same access to these services? Explain why or why not.
- How effective are advocacy services at protecting the rights of older adults?
Format your assignment properly according to APA guidelines. Do not simply bullet and answer questions, respond in letter form. Limit citations from References to 1 or 2 as this is a Letter to your Local Newspaper Editor, not a research paper.