What would be the most effective, efficient, timely, and cost-effective way to plan for and manage a global pandemic? Why? Support your rationale with scholarly references.
Assignment 2: Ways to Manage a Pandemic
A pandemic is a worldwide epidemic that, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), has to meet three conditions:
- The microbe infects and causes serious illness in humans.
- Humans do not have immunity against the virus.
- The virus spreads easily from person to person and survives within humans.
By connecting physicians, epidemiologists, and surveillance communities, you have a chance to produce an unprecedented worldwide organization to monitor the health of the world. The Global Public Health Information Network (GPHIN) has already produced the evidence that the Web can alert the world to a nascent threat. Now, you need to take this evidence and build a program to harness the power of social media for public health concerns.
Information systems and the Internet, through integration with clinical information systems and EMRs, can improve biosurveillance outcomes globally.
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research ways to manage a global pandemic. Then respond to the following:
- What would be the most effective, efficient, timely, and cost-effective way to plan for and manage a global pandemic? Why? Support your rationale with scholarly references.
- Comment on the functionality of the GPHIN and explain how information systems can improve biosurveillance outcomes.