2-3 Page Essay addressing all the below questions, should be double-spaced with 1” margins and 12-point font .
Your second application essay is designed to heighten your awareness of the different expectations people have for nonverbal communication. For this essay, you should make a list of the nonverbal behavior “rules” you experience on a daily basis. Then, you should intentionally violate the nonverbal behavior rule and observe other’s reactions. You must engage in the violation no less than five times with five different people.
1. What nonverbal communication behavior did you choose to violate and why?
2. How did you violate the nonverbal norms? Describe what you did, with whom, and where. (Remember: the violation should’ve occurred at least five times with five different people.)
3. What categories of nonverbal communication were part of your nonverbal violation? Describe the category and what the “norm” is associated with that behavior.
a. Physical Appearance e. Personal Space
b. Gesture and Body Movement f. Touch
c. Face and Eye Behavior g. Scent / Smell
d. Vocal Behavior h. Time
4. What did others say and do in response to your nonverbal violation? Describe the categories of nonverbal communication that were part of the subject’s response a. Physical Appearance e. Personal Space b. Gesture and Body Movement f. Touch c. Face and Eye Behavior g. Scent / Smell d. Vocal Behavior h. Time
5. How did you feel violating these norms?
6. Why do nonverbal norms, such as the one you violated, exist? What is their purpose?