What are the components, activities, competencies, and capacities of our local public health system?
In this assignment, you will complete a public health needs assessment MAPP matrix template. Next, you will seek out an FOA that addresses a public health intervention that will address your chosen topic. You will then create a presentation that demonstrates your chosen public health intervention and provides information about your MAPP matrix and the pertinent FOA.
Part I: Conduct an MAPP Matrix Needs Assessment
Conduct a public health needs assessment using the MAPP model. It will result in a MAPP matrix, which identifies a public health need that you are personally interested in.
File attached: Complete the MAPP matrix template.
All MAPP information can be obtained from the National Association of City and County Health Officials (NACCHO) Web site at the following:
- National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO). (2012). Mobilizing for action through planning and partnerships (MAPP). Retrieved from http://www.naccho.org/topics/infrastructure/mapp/index.cfm
Four assessments of the MAPP model and the issues they address are described below:
- Community Themes and Strengths Assessments: This assessment results in a deeper understanding of the issues that residents feel are important by answering the following questions:
(a) What is important to our community?
(b) How is quality of life perceived in our community?
(c) What assets do we have that can be used to improve community health?
- Local Public Health System Assessment (LPHSA): This assessment focuses on all the organizations and entities that contribute to the public’s health. The LPHSA answers the following questions:
(a) What are the components, activities, competencies, and capacities of our local public health system?
(b) How are the essential services being provided to our community?
- Community Health Status Assessment: This assessment identifies priority community health and quality-of-life issues. Questions answered include:
(a) How healthy are our residents?
(b) What does the health status of our community look like?
- Forces of Change Assessment: This assessment focuses on identifying forces such as legislation, technology, and other impending changes that affect the context in which the community and its public health system operate. This answers the following questions:
(a) What is occurring or might occur that affects the health of our community or the local public health system?
(b) What specific threats or opportunities are generated by these occurrences?
Part II: Identify Funding Opportunity
After you have completed your public health needs assessment matrix template, you will create a presentation that addresses the following:
- Identify your chosen public health intervention that relates to your MPH coursework.
- Explain how (using the MAPP Model) you completed the matrix template to identify your chosen public health intervention.
- Explain why the intervention is an important initiative.
- Identify whom the intervention will assist (target audience).
- Explain the general requirements of the FOA.
- Describe, at a high-level, your intended approach, in response to your chosen public health intervention, if awarded this grant.