What are some of the key points made by Kevin Kelly regarding the role of technology in the evolution of humanity? Do you agree with his main arguments? Why or why not?
Instructions for this discussion topic
Review each of the following resources and respond to the questions posed below. In this course, it is a good practice to take notes on the videos and readings so that you can begin to integrate the concepts covered in each. This will also be helpful when you take your quizzes.
Overview of the historical impact of technology
- Kelly, K. (2009).Technology’s epic story. Available at: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/kevin_kelly_tells_technology_s_epic_story.html
- Diamond, J. (May 1, 1987). The worst mistake in the history of the human race. Discover Magazine, 64-66. Available at: http://discovermagazine.com/1987/may/02-the-worst-mistake-in-the-history-of-the-human-race#.Uu73L_ldWSo
Some technologies that have helped to change the world
- Anthony, D. W. (1994). Moving life forward. Faces (07491387), 11(1), 14. Available at: http://ezproxy.umuc.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=9410050431&site=eds-live&scope=site
- Popular Mechanics (n.d.). 101 Gadgets that changed the world. Available at: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/reviews/101-gadgets-that-changed-the-world#slide-1
- Dvorsky, G. (2012). Ten inventions that changed the world in ways we didn’t expect. Available at: http://io9.com/5951267/10-inventions-that-changed-the-world-in-ways-we-didnt-expect
1) Based on the resources provided above, how would you define technology? Be sure to use your own words!
2) What are some of the key points made by Kevin Kelly regarding the role of technology in the evolution of humanity? Do you agree with his main arguments? Why or why not?
3) According to Diamond, what is the worst mistake in the history of the human race? What does this mistake have to do with technology and society?
4) What do you think are the top 3 most important technologies of all time? Justify your choices.
5) What is your own favorite technology? Explain your choice.
Remember that in order to earn full credit for discussion participation, you are to must respond fully to every question and submit your best writing. Remember that you must respond to at least two of your classmates before the end of the academic week