For this weeks journal, you will evaluate the citations that you find in a section of a research paper, here: Sample paper with citation.docx. Your first task is to underline or highlight the citations, and then describe them in as much detail as you can. You do not have to follow the usual paragraph structure for your response this week. You can simply copy and paste this document and do your underlining and discussion in there. Please also make sure to answer the questions below.
For example: (Bacon et. al. 854; Gaesser 91) – Just by looking at this citation, we know that there are two different sources being cited here. The first has multiple authors (Bacon and others), and the second has a single author.
After you describe the underlined citations, you will answer the following questions:
- What percentage of the sentences are cited?
- How much of the document is directly quoted material?
- Based on this sample, what types of sentences require citation?
- In your estimation, will the entire paper contain this concentration of citations? Why or why not? What parts of the paper may contain similar citation amounts? Less citation?
- In your opinion and/or experience, is this a sample of appropriate use of citation and source material? Why or why not?
- What questions or concerns do you have about the use of citations?