Explain the forensic technique Symantec researchers employed in order to receive the traffic sent by Stuxnet-infected computers and describe what their analysis uncovered.
Read the article titled, “How Digital Detectives Deciphered Stuxnet, the Most Menacing Malware in History” located at the Wired link below: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/07/how-digital-detectives-deciphered-stuxnet/all/1
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Explain the forensic technique Symantec researchers employed in order to receive the traffic sent by Stuxnet-infected computers and describe what their analysis uncovered.
- Identify what researchers were surprised to discover with Stuxnet’s malicious DLL file. Assess this significant function of malware and what potential dangers it could present in the future.
- Determine the primary reason that critical infrastructures are open to attacks which did not seem possible just a couple of decades earlier.
- Decide whether or not an appropriate case has been made in which Stuxnet was indeed a targeted attack on an Iranian nuclear facility, based on the evidence and conclusions of the researchers. Provide your rationale with your response.
- Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment other than the article linked above. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Outline system forensics issues, laws, and skills.
- Analyze and describe the process of reviewing network logs for analysis.
- Use technology and information resources to research advanced issues in computer forensics.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to computer forensics planning using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.