Explain how mental health and addiction therapy are viewed in various cultures. Give at least two examples.
This discussion question meets the following CACREP Standards:
2.F.2.b. Theories and models of multicultural counseling, cultural identity development, and social justice and advocacy.
2.F.8.i. Analysis and use of data in counseling.
This discussion question meets the following NASAC Standards:
18) Understand diverse racial and ethnic cultures, including their distinct patterns of interpreting reality, world view, adaptation, and communication, and to incorporate the special needs of minority groups and the differently abled into clinical practice.
19) Understand the importance of self-awareness in one’s personal, professional, and cultural life.
85) Adapt counseling strategies to the individual characteristics of the client, including (but not limited to): disability, gender, sexual orientation, developmental level, acculturation, ethnicity, age, and health status.
102) Sensitize others to issues of cultural identity, ethnic background, age, and gender role or identity in prevention, treatment, and recovery.
119) Recognize the importance of individual differences by gaining knowledge about personality, cultures, lifestyles, and other factors influencing client behavior, and applying this knowledge to practice.
121) Conduct culturally appropriate self-evaluations of professional performance, applying ethical, legal, and professional standards to enhance self-awareness and performance.