Discuss the relevance of tools and techniques for investigating and describing project process related to developing new workings, facilities, equipment, plant and processes for justifying, designing, developing, or maintaining existing facilities and equipment within the context of their technological and asset lifecycle status.
You should use AS 4120-1994 as the basis of developing a tender request as the principal for a project in the mining, construction or in an industry where there are large plant equipment and/or large assets being managed or maintained. The project may be one of your choosing based on your current work practise or may be one selected from a set of possible projects on the Moodle web site. You must ensure that your tender document is consistent with all of the Australian standards referred to in this unit.
Should you wish to use a tender template from the organisation you work for then you may do so. However, you must ensure that all of the ten items in the task definition below are included in your tender.
You must obtain the agreement from your lecturer and unit coordinator that the subject project scope of your tender is suitable for this unit.
Further information is available on the Moodle site.
Your task is to consider the contents of the unit and apply it to a tender request. Your tender must do the following:
- Define the project in the context of mining, plant, or a large asset;
- Explain the project justification and contract process;
- Explain the financing of the project;
- Identify the project conditions, project team and project processes required;
- Provide your expected estimates to the tenderer for the project labour, plant, materials, and sub-contractors;
- Provide your requirements for project changes;
- Provide your requirements for quality assurance and quality control;
- Provide your requirements for document management, reporting and governance;
- Provide your requirements for disputes, arbitration and mediation;
- Provide your requirements for safety.
The primary purpose of this assessment item is to help you to develop skills for expressing the manner in which a principal normally engages with contractors through a tendering process. The secondary purpose of this assignment is to give you the opportunity to enhance your analysis, critical thinking and written communication skills; particularly in the areas of argument development and tender writing.
Your tender should be as much as practically possible a properly constructed tender. However, you must also apply the rigours of an academic essay. Therefore, you must include references within your tender and a reference list formatted in the prescribed style is compulsory at the end of your tender. Do not include a bibliography.
You are strongly encouraged to discuss your ideas with your business and student colleagues on the unit discussion forum, before drawing your conclusions and submitting your assignment.
The file submitted must be a Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) document.
Submit a copy of your essay online through the unit website on Moodle.
ASSIGNMENT SIZE AND REFERENCING CRITERIA
There is NO word limit for this assignment as each project selected will differ and the amount of documentation in a tender can differ; however it is hoped that your assignment will be concise. You are encouraged to take advantage of referencing as a means of limiting the number of words in the assignment. When you are incorporating many of the sections from the Assessment Criteria below you can refer to the text contained in the relevant standard. For example, using the assessment criteria below you can put for 220.127.116.11 -“Closing of tenders – tender closing will conform to AS 4120-1994 section 6.4 p.9”. If you have used a tender as a template that you have taken from your company then you may have different words that make it harder to align to the standards. You should then look through your tender template and whenever possible add a comment, such as – “this section is similar to AS 4120-1994 section 6.4 p.9”. Ensuring you have accurate references is important and will allow the marker to easily identify where your tender maps to the unit material. As a consequence you will be able to gain the MAXIMUM MARKS.
The assessment for this assignment will consist of a measurement of how comprehensively you address the following criteria:
- Reflection of AS 4120-1994(10%)
- Financing justification and financial arrangements of the project by the Principal (10%)
- A clear description of the arrangements of the Financing of the project by the Principal (10%)
- Contractual terms(20%)
- Quality Assurance and Control requirements(20%)
- Safety requirements (20%)
- Clarity of expression, grammar and spelling (10%)
SubmissionOnlineSubmission InstructionsUpload to Moodle as a single Zip file. The written assignment must be a Microsoft Word document. Appendices may be included as PDF, Excel or other files.Learning Outcomes Assessed
- Review using clear terminology the key areas and processes of project, program and portfolio management practices as applies to asset rich organisations.
- Discuss the relevance of tools and techniques for investigating and describing project process related to developing new workings, facilities, equipment, plant and processes for justifying, designing, developing, or maintaining existing facilities and equipment within the context of their technological and asset lifecycle status.
- Present and interpret major processes that are based on sound policy, information, and research that enable project justification, tenders, contracts, and selection criteria to occur in an asset rich organisation.
- Critically analyse management strategies and operational activities from a broad perspective to ensure safety and quality, to avoid overruns or rework, to manage variations and claims, and to make decisions to discontinue or close projects.
- Demonstrate an effective, professional level of teamwork and communication and support collaborative peer group learning.