Discuss the public health issue that your proposed policy is intended to address. Questions to consider: Who does this health issue affect? What is the impact of this health issue on the community? Why does this health issue need to be addressed?
For this assignment, you should create an approximately 10 minute presentation* that addresses each of the following points:
- Discuss the public health issue that your proposed policy is intended to address. Questions to consider:
- Who does this health issue affect?
- What is the impact of this health issue on the community?
- Why does this health issue need to be addressed?
- Explain the proposed public health policy. Questions to consider:
- Who will be affected by this policy?
- How will this policy address the health issue?
- What will change by enacting this policy?
- Evaluate the impacts of the proposed policy. Questions to consider:
- What are the costs and benefits of the policy?
- What are the risks of enacting or not enacting the policy?
- How will the lives of people who are affected by the health issue change if this policy is enacted?
- Create an influential presentation that affects voting behaviors of legislators. Questions to consider:
- What information about this policy would potentially affect the voting behavior of legislators from across the political spectrum (eg. conservative, moderate, liberal, progressive; particularly those who might not support the policy based on political orientation)?
- What are the most important messages that legislators need to hear about this policy?
- How would the constituents of the legislators voting for this policy feel about this policy and a legislator who votes for it?
- What information would a legislator need to “sell” the policy to consitutents who were perhaps not in favor of adopting the policy?
Note: Your presentation can be created using screencast software on your computer, the camera and microphone on your computer or handheld device, or the voice recording functions within a presentation program (like PowerPoint). Please see the announcement posted in Week 2 for more information on how to create effective presentations using one of these methods.