Determine whether the desired group outcomes were achieved. Explain how the group leader’s behavior influenced these outcomes.
For this assignment, you will attend a group session. The group may be a community-based group, a school-related group, a private practice group, an area support group, or other appropriate counseling group. You are responsible for making arrangements to attend the group. Exercise judgment in selecting the group to attend. For example, one would need permission from the group leader to attend a meeting of a suicide survivors’ group, but attending an open 12 step meeting would be much easier. You may find such open groups at schools, hospitals, community centers, or agencies.
Select the group and submit your choice for instructor approval by email, specifying the type of group, location of meeting, and anticipated date and time of attendance. No identifying information about group participants should appear in the paper. Be prepared to make changes if the instructor offers suggestions.
Once the group is approved, attend the session and write a report on the following:
- Analyze the current stage of the group and what you believe would help the group to function more effectively.
- Characterize the type of group session. (What issue or process occurred as the focus of the session?)
- Detail the group counseling theory that was being applied in the group session.
- Describe the techniques that were employed by the group leader during the session.
- Determine whether the desired group outcomes were achieved. Explain how the group leader’s behavior influenced these outcomes.
- Reflect on future directions for this group (i.e., possible next sessions).