Define a concise problem statement that is extracted from the above description or scenario. It is best if you define a specific problem caused by the dilemma, that needs a specific ethical decision to be made, that will solve the dilemma. Be aware that if it is a matter of public policy or law, that it may require a regulatory body or congressional approval to take action to implement a solution.
Application of a decision making framework to an IT-related ethical issue.
For this assignment, you are given an opportunity to explore and apply a decision making framework to an IT-related ethical issue. A framework provides a methodical and systematic approach for decision making. Methods of Ethical Analysis describes three structured frameworks that may be used for ethical analysis, namely Reynolds Seven-Step Approach, Kidder’s Nine Steps, and Spinello’s Seven-Step Process. There are several ways to systematically approach an ethical dilemma, and while each of the frameworks described has its merits, each will result in an ethical decision if straightforwardly and honestly applied.
In addition, you will want to consider the ethical theories described in Introduction to Theoretical Ethical Frameworks which help decision makers find the right balance concerning the acceptability of and justification for their actions. A separate write-up of the ethical theory that supports your decision is part of the following requirements.
For this paper, the following elements must be addressed:
• Describe a current IT-related ethical issue: Since this is a paper exercise, not a real-time situation, you may want to construct a brief scenario where this issue comes into play, and thus causes an ethical dilemma. The dilemma may affect you, your family, your job, or your company; or it may be a matter of public policy or law that affects the general populace. See the list below for a list of suggested issues, which may be a source of ethical dilemmas.
• Define a concise problem statement that is extracted from the above description or scenario. It is best if you define a specific problem caused by the dilemma, that needs a specific ethical decision to be made, that will solve the dilemma. Be aware that if it is a matter of public policy or law, that it may require a regulatory body or congressional approval to take action to implement a solution.
• Analyze your problem using one of the structured decision-making frameworks. Make sure that you identify the decision-making framework utilized. In addition, the steps in the decision-making framework selected must be used as major headings in the Analysis section.
• Consider and state the impact of the decision that you made on an individual, an organization, stakeholders, customers suppliers, and the environment, as applicable!
• State and discuss the applicable ethical theory that supports your decision.
Concerning your paper:
• Prepare a minimum 3- 5 page, double-spaced paper as a Microsoft Word file.
• Provide appropriate American Psychological Association (APA) source citations for all sources you use. In addition to critical thinking and analysis skills, your paper should reflect appropriate grammar and spelling, good organization, and proper business-writing style.
For example, Kidder’s approach has nine steps, which are:
• Recognize that there is a moral issue.
• Determine the actor (whose moral issue is it?).
• Gather the relevant facts.
• Test for right-versus-wrong issues.
• Test for right-versus-right paradigms (what sort of dilemma is this?).
• Apply the resolution principles (ends-based, rule-based, or care-based).
• Investigate the “trilemma” options (look for common ground or compromise).
• Make the decision.
• Revisit and reflect on the decision. (Kidder, 1995, p. 183-187)