RHIOs are comprised of multiple stakeholders. They play a vital role in health information exchange (HIE) in a community. Effective HIE directly impacts implementation of public health standards and efficacy of health programs in a region.
Review the following US government Web sites:
- Health Information Management Systems (HIMSS). (2009). Overview of health information exchange. Retrieved from https://www.healthit.gov/providers-professionals/health-information-exchange/what-hie
- HealthIT.GOV. (n.d.). NwHIN history & background. Retrieved from http://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/nwhin-history-background
Then, perform the following tasks:
Task 1: Find and state definitions for the following terms:
- Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Interoperability of health information systems
- Data standards in healthcare
- Health information exchange (HIE)
- Regional Health Information Organization (RHIO)
- National Health Information Network (NHIN)
Task 2: Using the Argosy University online library resources, do the following:
- Examine at least two scholarly references on RHIOs.
- Cite at least one example of how an RHIO improved the standard of healthcare.
Task 3: Analyze how the development of RHIOs will improve the standard of healthcare in the United States. Support your answer with scholarly references.
- Incorporate the definitions for the terms listed in task 1.
- Propose 3–5 data fields, mandatory or variable, that should be included in an HIE database.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M2_A2.doc. For example, if your name is John Smith, your document will be named SmithJ_M2_A2.doc.
By the due date assigned, deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area.
Assignment ComponentsMaximum PointsExplain why it is important to establish ROI parameters before embarking on new public health projects that involve acquiring new information technologies.40Analyze how new information technologies and the advent of the NHIN and RHIO can improve outcomes for disease surveillance programs.40
Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., APA); and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.